|A red hot Vogue shoot featuring Karlie Kloss, sourced via Pinterest|
There are a million and one reasons why I am not a sporty sort (no, one of these is not a fear of "breaking a nail") and although I have always been preoccupied with conventionally "girly" pursuits, my lack of sporting prowess has nothing to do with this.
On the contrary, I simply have no hand-eye coordination and no interest. Why play or watch sports when you can tune in to Style.com or SHOWSTUDIO? Priorities, darling, priorities.
However, this past week I have ventured into pastures new and I have actually been watching (and enjoying) Wimbledon... And not just for the comedic value of the player's grunts.
I simply love the spirit of Wimbledon and all the merry traditions. Strawberries and cream, pitchers of Pimm's and the good-old game itself- Wimbledon is a bit of a winner for me.
I really would love to go along, but this year I do not have the time or patience, so instead I shall be rooting for Murray from my own home. Thankfully, this season there are a whole host of tennis treats around to help you host a swingin' Summer soiree with a nod to England's chic-est sporting event- from the stylish to the sweet.
If you are a sweet tooth, then best take a trip to The Primrose Bakery for these wonderful Wimbledon inspired cupcakes. Complete with sugary sport-themed adornments, these tasty cupcakes are every bit as delightful as they look.
I am no cupcake expert, despite a wealth of research in this field, but those at the Primrose Bakery are some of the very best in London. Light sponge, delicately flavoured, with just the right amount of smooth buttercream icing- these cupcakes are a surefire hit. The Wimbledon collection is available now in either chocolate or vanilla to tantalise the taste buds. For a complimentary flavour hit, try the delicious Strawberry & White Chocolate cupcake or the Summer Cup Cocktail cupcake with a sweet, sticky cucumber and mint sponge and fruity icing.
Give tennis whites a lift with a splash of deep blue and neon yellow highlights. A match made in heaven!
1. Every year Links of London release a special collection of Wimbledon inspired jewellery. My favourite piece this year is this acid yellow friendship bracelet interwoven with little silver tennis balls. What a darling souvenir. Links of London, £150 here.
2. The current apple of my eye is this Proenza Schouler PS1 tote in vibrant marine. It is an understated but luxurious handbag that will certainly stand the test of time. What's more, it is the perfect way to smarten up classic white pieces. From Browns Fashion £1120 here.
3. If anyone can do a stylish shirt dress, it's going to be Equipment, and this lacy lovely is a case in point. Reduced in their sale, this sleeveless broderie anglais shirt dress is a crisp piece for all manner of Summer soirees. Equipment Kennedy dress $328 here.
4. A classic white jacket is a worthwhile investment, and this Alice + Olivia option is a sophisticated style. Nipping in at the waist with 3/4 sleeves and a frayed hem, this tweedy delight is the very definition of courtside cool. The best part? It's on sale at Atelier-To-Go for £305 here!
5. I have featured these acid yellow sandals numerous times, and I am still smitten. Perhaps you should just bite the bullet and buy me them? Thanks guys- appreciate it. The Lance sandals by Jimmy Choo are £495 here.
There is nothing more refreshing than a gloriously fruity pitcher of syrupy sweet Pimm's. Naughty but nice, I shall always look forward to Pimm's o'clock.
If you are also a fan of the classic Pimm's No 1, then why not throw caution to the wind and mix things up with this sharper, darker version flavoured with fragrant Blackberry and Elderflower. Check out some cocktail inspiration here.
Though these sweets have been the subject of a great deal of controversy, I must admit that the Sugarpova sweets from Russian tennis star Maria Sherapova look rather adorable.
Fill bowls with these tennis ball SPORTY sweeties at your Wimbledon party for a fun and vibrant table topper. They are available from the Sugarpova website here or you can buy the lemon-lime gumballs at Selfridges for £3.99 here or the multi-flavour mix here.
Keep it casual and cool with these sporty but sophisticated staples, in store now.
1. I bought this dress on a bit of a whim, but I am so glad I did so as it is the most glorious shade of buttercup yellow. A flattering and feminine shift with elegant pleating and a softly floaty skirt, this dress is ideal for garden parties- particularly when paired with crisp white plimsolls. Topshop £42 here.
2. A tennis dress is surprisingly flattering and elegant, and nobody does it better than Fred Perry (makes me feel sad for the rest). This racer back bright white style with the elegant drop waist and flirty pleated skirt is just divine. A reasonable £60, this is great for channeling your inner tennis ace. Buy it here.
3. Converse? So last season. This year is all about Superga sneakers. This classic white style looks great with everyone from relaxed distressed denim through to pretty pleated minis. Perfect for the garden party- old chum! £45 here.
4. A super sweet Superga style, this petal pink plimsoll looks perfect with white for sipping Champagne on Murray Mound. £45 here.
5. Pack up your troubles in this classic navy backpack by Lacoste. A simple style that shall never date- who'd have thought that the humble rucksack would become a style staple? Available from House of Fraser for £48 here.
I began writing this post on the train home last night, and found myself with an unbearable craving for fresh strawberries and whipped vanilla scented cream.
A Wimbledon staple, if you too are tempted by strawbs and cream but are looking to maintain that bikini body, then check out this lighter take on the Great British classic.
Of course cream is delightful, but it is also sinfully naughty, so for a lighter option serve up your sweet strawberries with a lower calorie dip. Mix half quantities of zero fat Greek yogurt with half fat sour cream until you have a rich, thick consistency. Fold in 2 tbsp or a generous drizzle of honey or agave syrup and finish with half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
How very virtuous!
Game set and match, my lovelies!